Monday, March 6, 2017

My Best Friend...



Like the state of the economy, he was declining. Every now and then, he changed from him to somebody else. He became a total stranger to me and I to him. It wasn't the high pitched, happy "Veeqy, whatsup?" when I called. Neither did he remind me that the food he ate at FRANCO was sexy.
I heared him talk, yet, I yearned to hear him talk. He lost his glow and usual somewhat natural ability to make light of every situation. He didn't see my hair when I changed it and even if he did see it, he didn't notice or make any comment. He didn't remind me every time I pulled off my glasses that I was Irene and he didn't ask about home or how I was doing.
He became distant and no matter how close I came, I felt him inwardly warning me not to venture closer and outwardly sending me signals that he needed his alone time and I felt the distance pierce through my subconscious. It wasn't fair. I had done nothing. His replies suddenly became curt, matter-of-factly and bizarre, like he was only replying because he should and not because he knew he should.
He probably didn't know but he had begun to scare me. I saw pain in his eyes and I wanted to hold him close, in a warm embrace and remind him that I loved him and was always going to be there for him. He was my best friend but suddenly, his coldness made me feel like an observer. I missed being his friend. I missed his laugh, his gesticulations and his noise. I missed him.
I wanted my best friend back.
I still want him back...

No comments:

Post a Comment