Thursday, April 20, 2017

High Tension

         
          I clasped my hand firmly around her frail own as I looked into her eyes. She couldn't say any words and wasn't even attempting movement of any kind. She was static and unmoving and all the adjectives used to qualify stillness. She was fine now and according to the doctor in charge, in a matter of days, she would be discharged. I continued staring at her, imagining all that I would do for her once she was fully recovered. How I would do everything to make her happy and how I would give up my life and probably be in her present condition if it would save her from any pain when I felt my stomach grumble. I knew it was hunger and as an ulcer patient, I wasn't supposed to joke with my stomach. So, even though I didn't want to go, I had to finally stand up, place her weak right hand on the right side of the bed and place a quick kiss on her forehead. Next thing, I dashed off to get something to eat and dashed back immediately. What I saw when I returned back to the room threw me off balance so that I didn't know when my food fell off my hands...
          When I finally got myself, I raced to the doctor's office since the bell didn't ring in any nurse. I got the doctor and a team of nurses and we fled back to the room together. She was convulsing and finding it almost impossible to breath. She began to vibrate furiously and then, the doctor started to do all the doctorly rubbish that he knew how to do best. At that moment, I began to pray.
I got on ma knees, facing the wall and began weeping to God. I was only fourteen years old and we had lost our parents in a ghastly motor accident when we were younger. We were the only ones remaining and I promised my mom that I would take good care of Annie. I swore that I would protect her with my life. I begged God to understand that I would never survive it if anything happened to her. I told him to make an exchange and take me instead of her. I told Him I would be a Reverend Father. I would preach the gospel. Anything He wanted! I reminded Him all the scriptures I knew. I cried. I asked Him to please forgive Annie if she had wronged Him in any way. I begged so much! I begged and begged. I begged! I promised to give my life to Him that day. I cried so much I began to shake.
Then...
           "Kene, we lost her", the doctor tapped my shoulder and said. I stood up, ran to Annie and started repeating my promises to God again. "Ok, God. I will count up till ten and Annie will wake up. Remember you brought Lazarus back to life? You are going to do it again. Annie will wake up when I count ten and tell me this dead thing is a game" I said, frantically holding her lifeless hand and looking hopefully at her face. I counted till ten. Then I counted twenty, thirty, fifty, even hundred! Annie didn't wake up. Annie was dead! My ten year old little sister was dead! "God! No! No! No! I trusted you this time again! She still died! No!!!" I screamed...
Whatever happened after this, I do not remember as I blacked out.

28 comments:

  1. Nice story, this is really touching��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epic! It engaged my emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Epic! It engaged my emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always thought and believed I wasn't too emotional....buh this story really got to me.....thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwn. Im breaking people's defences.
      Thanks a lot, Godswill.

      Delete
  5. Wow! This is epic. That's some serious workout on my emotion. #Kontiniu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.
    So emotional.
    This got my soul.

    It reminded of the death of my best friend, my Dad. He was healthy at one time in the hospital bed, just then like magic, like he was tired of the wickedness of this world, he gave up the ghost, just like that, few hours after I had seen him stand to tell me that he'd be discharged the next day.

    This storyline is deep dear, it cut through my soul. I hope I sleep tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG...Im so sorry. I hope you do sleep this night.
      Thanks for commenting tho.

      Delete
    2. Wow..... So emotional.... Wat a life we live on
      .....it touch my heart here

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Dijeh! What language did you use on the comments you made oo!

      Delete
  8. God he is just 14..
    nd he's lost everyone dear to him..
    nd one 50 or 40 year old man is tired of seeing his parents...

    irony of life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people say life is unfair, it truly is unfair.
      Irony of life.

      Delete
  9. Wow..... So emotional.... Wat a life we live on
    .....it touch my heart here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow..... So emotional.... Wat a life we live on
    .....it touch my heart here

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful story..it's really deep

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thouqht you'd end up preachinq like 'we should always hold on to God even when everythinq is lost'. 9c piece really, my emotions rose hiqher then mount everest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG.... So touching
    I can't believe tears jez drop from my eyes
    It reminded me of my younger brother though i was young but i can still remember. everything that happened that night... (tears still on my eyes)
    Victoria your uncle is proud of yo
    The sky is your beginning
    keep et up
    Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwwn...Im so sorry, Macsilver. Thanks anyways.

    ReplyDelete